St. Katharine Docks

St Katharine Docks were opened in 1828 to provide capacity for Britain’s largest import (and second largest export after wool); tea. Arriving in tea chests from China and India it was a roaring trade, accounting for around 400,000 tea chests per year. For 140 years, these docks were central to satiating the appetite for the refreshing cuppa. Closing in 1968, the docks were reborn as a marina and popular dining venue in the 70s.

Leave a Reply