Behind a wall to the north of The Mall is a house built in 1711 for the 1st Duke of Marlborough – the same 1st Duke of Blenheim Palace. This was his London home. The architect was Christopher Wren – who also designed St Paul’s Cathedral in the City. ‘Brick and stone trimmings’, he called it. It was home to Queen Adelaide (widow of William 4th) and Edward, Prince of Wales (eldest son of Queen Victoria). Our current queen gifted the building in the 1960’s to the Commonwealth of Nations – today, it’s the headquarters. Oh, and spot a gas lamp, one of many still lighting The Mall.